Encouragement Give It and Receive It
Some days are great when we feel we can conquer the mountaintops. Then there are days that nothing seems to go right. Have you ever been there? I have. Whatever it may be, we occasionally require a little bit of encouragement to go on. The Oxford dictionary defines encouragement as “the action of giving someone support, confidence, and hope.”
In Philippians 2:1-4 we read, “Therefore, if you have any encouragement
from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility, value others above yourselves, not looking to your interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” (NIV)
The scripture tells us that if we have received encouragement from God’s love, we should likewise give courage or value to someone else. To encourage with compassion and tenderness. Not to lift ourselves up but in humility to lift and encourage another lady. It is a blessing to encourage someone. You can make someone’s dark day turn bright with God’s light. So how can we quickly and economically encourage someone for the Lord?
· Phone call –when God places someone on your mind. Call them and tell them what they mean to you, or wish them a great day in the Lord.
· Send a card – Buy a card or make a card giving it a personal touch with a scripture verse. Materials are reasonable at the Dollar Store.
· Email – It takes just a minute but means the world to someone discouraged.
· The gift of listening – sometimes, we as ladies need someone to listen to us and say, “God loves you, and He will work it out according to His plan.”
· Coffee – Buy a cup of coffee or have a cup of coffee with a friend who is lonely or someone you want to invite to church.
Make an effort to encourage another lady in the Lord. It is easy to go about our routines and never take the time to promote someone. Take five minutes and impact a woman for Christ. You as well, will be encouraged.
It is also essential to be willing to receive encouragement. It can be challenging for some people to open up and share with another lady. Let yourself share a trial or challenge with a friend. Remember, everyone goes through problems and conflicts in this world. Allow the Lord to encourage you!
Written by: Kathleen Brewer