Partnering to serve Christ in communities
at home and around the world -
learning and growing together
Impacting the world for Christ
Our Union is composed of
- Little Lights - preschool ministry
- Global Adventures-mission education for children's ministries, ages 6-11
- World Wide Guild - mission groups for young women
- Woman's Missionary Societies - mission groups for women
The objectives of the Union are:
- to engage the efforts of Christian women in evangelism,
- to assist in the support of Canadian Baptist Ministries Global Field Staff,
- to support other programs of the Canadian Baptist Ministries,
- to extend the cause of missions through prayer and any other means that seems desirable and necessary to this Union.
- to support Home Mission work in Canada in such a manner as shall seem desirable to this Union.
This organization began in 1870 when Miss Hannah Maria Norris of Canso, NS offered herself to the Maritime Baptist Foreign Mission Board as a candidate for appointment to Burma. This Board did not have the funds available for her passage and support. She engaged passage on a boat to Boston intending to apply to the American Baptist Foreign Mission Board, but before she sailed she was advised to appeal to the women of the churches. This she did on June 18, 1870. Miss Maria Norris organized a Woman's Missionary Society in her home church and soon had organized twenty-two societies in Nova Scotia and eleven in New Brunswick - the first of their kind in the world. Miss Norris sailed for Burma on September 21, 1870 with sufficient money for her passage and one year's living expenses! From these beginnings the UBWMU has attained its present status.
The official publication of the UBWMU is "Tidings", which is a 24 page magazine published ten times a year.
Affiliated with the Baptist World Alliance, Women's Department, our Union is represented by the President and Executive Director on the North American Baptist Women's Union (NABWU). Through this representation we have affiliation with the Women's Department of the BWA. The North American Baptist Women's Union is one of the seven continental unions that make up the Women's Department of the BWA. The UBWMU is one of the seventeen Baptist women's organizations that make up the NABWU.
We unite with Baptist Women Around the World by participating in the Baptist Women's Day of Prayer held on the first Monday in November each year.
NABWU organizes an assembly, open to all the Baptist women's Unions in North America, every five years. The next one will be held Oct 19 - 22 2017 at the Delta Toronto East Hotel, Toronto, Ontario. Assembly theme: "New Dreams". Registration details available at www.nabwu.org/events. See home page regarding travel to the assembly by deluxe motor coach trip.